Deputy Photo Director, Business
Compensation: $192,290.00 - $192,290.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you. Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at ...@dowjones.com.
Please put ?Reasonable Accommodation in the subject line.
NYC - 1211 Ave of the Americas
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a photo business deputy. This is a senior leadership role, overseeing a team of photo editors, covering a wide range of photographic assigning, research and production for key WSJ business desks: Corporate, Markets, Exchange, Journal Reports and The Future of Everything. These content areas combine the need for a bold digital display on mobile and desktop platforms, with a striking, newsy, sometimes conceptual print requirement.
You will be responsible for maintaining a sophisticated and lively quality of photography (and photo-illustration) for each individual section and will facilitate innovative visual approaches to the creation and surfacing of our online content You will attend weekly bureau and art meetings and will be working closely with coverage chiefs, visual editors, publishing and print editors, platform leads, section art directors, graphics, video and audience colleagues on daily and enterprise coverage. The role will include conceptualization of print centerpieces, the planning and production of special print issues and overseeing workflow and production flows for the teams. You will conceive, pitch and develop special projects in conjunction with the different sections, teaming up with partners from the greater visuals team for multimedia storytelling, experimental formats and tools. You will mentor and train photo editors and oversee budgets for their content areas.
You will report to the Director of Photography.
- Maintain a very high quality of photographic assigning, execution and research.
- Lead the team in the production of innovative online visual story builds for photography and multimedia, collaborating with graphics and visual editors, art directors and developer colleagues.
- Focus on ways to avoid stock photography in the core coverage.
- Manage a team of photo editors, providing constructive feedback on projects and professional growth.
- Promote a diverse and exciting group of photographers and subjects with an eye to our young and new audiences.
- Work with platform and Apple News leads on planning and platform scheduling and strategy as well as digital builds and projects.
- Demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills and an ability to balance short and long term projects across several different sections.
- Manage budget effectively with quarterly check-ins.
- Keep stakeholders apprised of all projects by maintaining departmental project lists and attending relevant meetings to ensure all milestones and editorial requirements are met.
- Help direct and create new workflows and processes in a fast-paced, global, and networked newsroom.
- Recommend and lead change where required to strengthen the team and the journalism.
- Work closely with the Photography Director on broader departmental and organizational projects.
- Work in close partnership with other visual, strategy, product and engineering leadership.
- At least five years of experience leading or collaborating closely with a team of visual and text journalists and editors in a magazine or newsroom setting
- Must demonstrate excellent news judgement and an expansive understanding of mobile-first experience and design.
- A good understanding and appreciation of business news.
- A creative vision and enthusiasm to share and collaborate on new ideas.
- Experience with people and performance management, or equivalent experience.
- Experience managing change, creating new processes and workflows.
- Prior experience in a newsroom, with excellent news, data and design judgment.
- Good knowledge of building stories for mobile devices.
- Excellent organizational skills using Google tools, Slack, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment.
- Experience building consensus and motivating different personalities and teams.
- Able to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Able to train reporters and editors to learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
Associated topics: agent, booking, consultant, director, leader, manager, oversee, representative, strategist, supervise
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...