Senior Product Designer, Newsroom Innovation
Compensation: $96,375.00 - $127,870.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you. Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at ...@dowjones.com.
Please put ?Reasonable Accommodation in the subject line.
NYC - 1211 Ave of the Americas
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a Senior Product Designer to join the WSJ Innovation team. Your focus will be on new initiatives and experiments across the newsroom. You will be connected to our large community of designers at the Journal to draw on broader tools, best practices and research. You will work with the fundamental building blocks of our interface, from typography to imagery to interactivity. You'll also measure and improve our product through customer feedback.
The Innovation Department is part of the Journal's Strategy unit, which is an incubator for new technologies, audience growth, community and news innovation. As a member of Innovation, you will work closely with writers, video journalists, visual journalists, editors, product managers, engineers, UX Researchers, data scientists, artificial intelligence experts and more in a lively, collaborative initiative to discover new offerings of journalistic value. You will also work closely with newsroom leadership and the Journal's visual, product, design and engineering departments. There is room in this role to develop both journalism skills and engineering skills, and career paths from these jobs can lead in multiple directions.
It's essential to have an enthusiasm for news and the public mission of journalism in this role. The Journal is the most trusted news outlet in the country, and it is expanding its appeal among new audiences. You will help us identify, prototype, build and maintain new forms of journalism, newsroom tools and applications that require technical and creative rigor.
You will report to the WSJ Newsroom Innovation Chief.
- Design and deliver product specifications for new features and experiments in the department
- Take the lead in framing and solving hard problems; drive innovative efforts that uncover new value with new kinds of experiences; present company as an industry leader in design
- Work with other members of the product design team to maintain consistent interface patterns across all WSJ products and brand experiences.
- Advocate and evolve design's role within the organization and its product development processes
- Outputs include: Interface Mockups, Design Presentations, Sketch Files, Clickable Prototypes, Style Guides and UI kits
- 8+ years experience crafting user interfaces for content-rich websites and apps
- A leader who prefers to manage projects over managing people
- Uses design methods not as a tool to solve execution problems, but to identify new opportunities for value creation
- In-depth understanding of modern web technology and the latest accessibility standards
- Proficiency with Sketch, Abstract, InVision, and other design & prototyping tools
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and highly dynamic environment
- Can clearly explain ideas and concepts both written and verbally
- Comprehensive understanding of typography and layout principles
- Experience in an entrepreneurial, new product project and/or start-up company
- Experience in user research
- An understanding of UI best-practices and user behavior in the context of monetized digital products
Associated topics: adventure, director, dp, horror, movie producer, production, science fiction, studio, tv, tv director
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...