Visual Editor, World
Compensation: $81,760.00 - $143,160.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you. Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at ...@dowjones.com.
Please put ?Reasonable Accommodation in the subject line.
NYC - 1211 Ave of the Americas
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a Visual Editor to set a vision, help transform and direct the visual coverage of our daily and long-term stories in our World news section. The Visual Editor will manage a team of graphics editors and graphics reporters to ensure that staff are pitching, creating and collaborating on high-quality visual journalism, with a push toward visual-first stories for both digital and print formats. The Visual Editor will report to the Director of Graphics and work very closely with the different coverage chiefs, as well as with reporters and editors. The Visual Editor will actively play a broader leadership role in the department, facilitating special projects, mentoring staff and supporting the director as needed. This senior position provides an exciting opportunity to work with an award-winning department to drive ambitious, innovative and analytical storytelling with graphics, interactives, and other storytelling experiments and formats.
- Prioritize, assign and direct visual content for world news, which may include coordinating business and markets graphics with non-U.S.-based staff. This work will be published on all platforms including print and online.
- Manage a team of visual specialists, providing constructive feedback on projects and professional growth.
- Work in close partnership with other visual, business news, strategy, product and engineering leadership.
- Maintain a balance of long- and short-term projects with a mix of breaking news, enterprise, and ambitious visuals.
- Coordinate closely with photo editors and video editors on multimedia stories.
- Ensure that work is distributed effectively among staff.
- Flexibility to allow staff to work on projects outside of their core sections, based on their skills and newsroom needs.
- Keep stakeholders apprised of all projects by maintaining departmental project lists and attending relevant meetings to ensure all milestones and editorial requirements are met.
- Create a portfolio of high-impact visual stories that are analytical, clear, and accurate. These projects must also function across all platforms, including desktop, mobile, social, and print.
- Help direct and create new workflows and processes in a fast-paced, global, and networked newsroom.
- Recommend and lead change where required to strengthen the team and the journalism.
- Work closely with the Director on broader departmental and organizational projects.
- Lead and inspire the department to perform at its very best.
- At least five years of experience leading a team of visual and interactive journalists, or equivalent experience.
- Must demonstrate excellent news judgement and an expansive understanding of contemporary design standards.
- A creative vision and willing to share and collaborate on new ideas.
- Experience with people and performance management, or equivalent experience.
- Experience managing change, creating new processes and workflows.
- Prior experience in a newsroom, with excellent news, data and design judgment.
- Experience with data journalism and data visualization and associated tools, such as Excel, SQL, R and Python.
- A good understanding and appreciation of business news.
- Good knowledge of building stories for mobile devices.
- Excellent organizational skills using Google tools, Slack, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment.
- Experience building consensus and motivating different personalities and teams.
- Able to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Able to train reporters and editors to learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
Applications should include portfolio links, a resume and cover letter.
Associated topics: book, cnbc, editor, fiction, huffington, product description specialist, publishing, scriptwriter, writer, writer editor
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...