Director of the UMass Center in Springfield
Job no: 502427
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Chancellor's Office
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Director of the UMass Center in Springfield is responsible for overseeing the implementation of the institution s strategic plan for the Center. The Director will work closely with campus leadership, faculty, local government officials, civic and business leaders, and regional organizations to advance the mission of the Center. The Director will establish a nationally-known community-based center that integrates research, education and outreach aimed at solving problems in the greater Springfield area. These goals will be met by harnessing community-based research partnerships that will inform the issues important to the diverse Springfield neighborhoods and the surrounding area. The Director will develop sources of financial support for these activities where appropriate.
- Develops sustainable infrastructure for collaborative engagement and research efforts in Springfield. Provides a forum for all stakeholders to discuss their engagement and research efforts to address the gaps between research, policy and practice. Builds capacity of partners to sustain collaborations and put research evidence into use. Creates priorities and seeks funding for research in the community that include voices from citizens, public and private agencies, and the higher education community to ensure that the University is contributing towards community goals.
- Develops, implements, and coordinates community relations programs, events and activities that promote positive relationships between the University and greater Springfield communities. Develops and implements initiatives and support programs that create positive attitudes in the community regarding the University consistent with available funding.
- Exercises management and administrative responsibility for the UMass Center at Springfield. Interacts with the building manager and the landlord; coordinates with Human Resources, Physical Plant, Design and Construction, and Information Technology on the Amherst campus. Involved in sensitive matters including employee relations, act as a grievance hearing officer, and participates in labor relation matters. Develops and manages operating budget of the Center in accordance with University policies and procedures.
- Acts as a liaison between the University and local communities, municipal department heads, professional staff, business executives and associations, and regional community and economic development organizations. Establishes, and maintains effective working relationships with University administrators, academic leadership, town officials, as well as civic, business and community groups. Cultivates partnerships and manages relationships with civic leaders and regional organizations to advance the institution s mission. Advises the Chancellor and senior University administrators on methods and strategies for building positive community relations activities in the greater Springfield area.
- Raises the profile of the center among key stakeholders in Greater Springfield, including businesses, relevant quasi-government and non-profits, the City of Springfield, and the media, in collaboration with University Relations.
- Engages with Springfield elected officials and regional state legislators to strengthen the relationship between the center, campus and Springfield delegation in collaboration and under leadership from University Relations.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor for University Relations, the Deputy Chancellor, and the Chancellor.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor s degree plus seven years management experience in government, public service, higher education or related field.
- Familiarity with the workings of municipal government.
- Excellent organizational, negotiating, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups.
- Ability to interact effectively with executive level officials from a range of organizations.
- Ability to speak in public and with the media.
- Familiarity with the role of higher education institutions in the area of outreach and public service.
- Respect for confidential information and commitment to secure it.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Advanced degree preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
- Reports to the Amherst campus Deputy Chancellor.
- Consults with and advises the Amherst campus Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for University Relations, and the Deputy Chancellor regarding community relations in the greater Springfield area.
- Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM 5:00 PM.
- Frequently required to work nights and weekends.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, resume and the name and contact information of three professional references. Applicants should apply by the priority deadline of August 30, 2019 in order to ensure consideration. The job posting will remain open until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Aug 16 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: demand, donor, lead generation, medical center, public, public relations, relation, relationship, twitter, university relationship
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...