Educator III Climate Adapt.
Compensation: $137,580.00 - $137,580.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Education - Post Secondary
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Climate Adaptation Educator designs and leads climate change initiatives to address the needs of diverse stakeholders including state and federal agency staff, regional or local government officials, natural resource managers, environmental consultants, community groups, organizations, researchers and Extension staff. This individual designs and implements programs, coordinates actions and establishes collaborations in areas related to natural resources, natural systems, agriculture and ecosystem resilience to foster adaptation to climate change.
Example of Duties
* Provide leadership for campus-based adaptation education and climate resiliency efforts, including collaboration with the Northeast Climate Adaptation Science Center.
* Develop and implement collaborative projects involving stakeholders and partners on and off-campus to address critical needs and issues related to climate adaptation and joint mitigation-adaptation.
* Represent UMass Amherst in state, regional and national climate adaptation initiatives, particularly as related to accessing UMass expertise or technical assistance.
* Coordinate action across public and private sectors related to climate change adaptation including: natural resources, ecosystems, agriculture, water resources, coastal, transportation, funding, communications, education and outreach, planning and design, emergency management.
* Assess climate adaptation-related needs of stakeholders and evaluate climate adaptation initiatives.
* Develop and maintain professional skills and capacity of climate adaption professionals.
* Support faculty in the development of research and grant proposals that address climate adaptation.
* Support UMass Extension staff in incorporating climate adaptation into new and existing educational programs and collaborations.
* Develop opportunities and supervise graduate and undergraduate students participating in climate adaptation Extension projects.
* Design and disseminate communications and outreach materials about climate initiatives based on best practices and innovations in the field.
* Supervise and manage consultants, contractors and students for projects and initiatives related to climate adaptation.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience,Certifications, and Licensures
* Bachelor's Degree in discipline related to the environment and natural resources conservation.
* More than 5 years of professional experience working in a position relevant for climate change adaptation.
* Demonstrated leadership in the field of climate change.
* Experience delivering education programs to adults.
* Experience collaborating with government officials and agencies.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Excellent interpersonal and group process skills.
* Master's Degree in discipline related to the environment and natural resources conservation.
* Knowledge of Extension and the Land grant University mission and system.
* Experience working in higher education in an extension or public outreach role.
* Experience working with faculty in disciplines related to climate adaptation.
* A record of participating effectively in professional team efforts with diverse groups of people.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
Monday-Friday, regular business hours.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a letter of application, resume, Statement of Diversity (see below), and contact information for three professional references by September 17, 2019 in order to be considered.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. In addition to application materials above, candidates will need to submit a Statement of Contribution to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. The Diversity Statement should identify past experiences and future goals. These contributions may result from lived experiences, scholarships, and/or mentoring, teaching, and outreach activities. (
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Aug 28 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Mar 31 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: academic counselor, assist, associate, attendance, counselor, district school nurse, guidance, healthcare, receptionist, speech language pathologist
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...