Human Resources Specialist
Compensation: $74,940.00 - $115,010.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Human Resources
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the direction of the Assistant Provost for Finance and Administration, the Human Resources (HR) Specialist supports the University Without Walls (UWW) Division of Online Education (OE) in meeting its operational and strategic objectives in the area of human resource management, with a high degree of judgment, initiative and leadership. Serves as advisor and consultant on matters related to human resource management, personnel policies, procedures, compliance and best practices.
* Works in alliance with OE support personnel involved in HR processing. Maintains current knowledge and understanding of legal and regulatory requirements and campus policies, practices and procedures. Responsible for interpreting University HR policies and procedures for the Major Budgetary Unit (MBU) across all affiliated labor units. Serves as a key resource to departmental staff.
* Oversees and monitors personnel actions and requests for compliance with the established campus policies, procedures and guidelines. Interprets contracts to ensure new appointments meet criteria for employment. Identifies compliance issues and contacts managers to discuss and determine resolution. Consults the Office of the Provost and Talent Management on personnel matters and for policy clarification, as needed. Provides queries and reports and troubleshoots HR questions, as requested. Ensures HR processes throughout the MBU are coordinated effectively and facilitates the organization's transition from paper to electronic processes. Maintains and safeguards confidential personnel records and files. Has department head level signature authority on personnel actions.
* Provides oversight and management of personnel processes and actions for the OE Division that includes eight operational departments and the compensation processes for approx. 1,700 instructional personnel and 450 graduate students teaching multi-modal credit and non-credit courses offered through UWW and OE by college academic partners. Completes complex, MBU-level personnel actions as required and manages approx. 2,250 static and revolving payroll appointments year-round.
* Manages and administers hiring by advising and assisting appointing authorities and hiring managers in all aspects of the search and appointment process. Facilitates the hiring process by consulting on search committee member selection, advertising, formal hire offers, etc. Works with hiring managers to develop clear, accurate and results-oriented job descriptions. Oversees the submission of staff classification review requests. Serves as job description resource person and serves as liaison with Talent Management staff to resolve compensation and classification issues. Manages PageUp process, creating and entering position descriptions for posting, supporting search team workflows and coordinating timelines and deliverables. Reviews search documentation and ensures compliance with University employment process. Advises on Fair Labor Standards Act issues and compliance.
* Maintains knowledge on collective bargaining agreements and serves as OE's primary liaison with the Labor Relations office. Has principal responsibility to manage compliance with collective bargaining provisions. Assists managers with conducting meetings to resolve grievances or employee complaints. Conducts investigations as needed. Coordinates due process hearings and works with Labor Relations, union representatives, managers and employees to resolve issues. May represent the Vice-Provost in grievances or in negotiations with unions.
* Develops HR budget by performing analysis and developing cost projections to forecast the payroll/fringe benefit components of the annual Trust Fund Budget for OE. Creates and maintains databases for monitoring personnel activity and tracking expenditures to support management decision-making. Provides status reports as needed.
* Recommends staffing needs; Ensures that department/program supervisors have the tools and information they need to set performance goals, communicate expectations, and conduct evaluations. Develops collaborative working relationships with Central HR. Organizes and schedules informational human resource meetings for OE managers and supervisors. Creates, writes or facilitates understanding of campus informational handouts for reference to explain new processes, procedures, or contract updates.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
* Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or other management-related field; plus 3 years of relevant progressive experience in a human resources role.
* Knowledge of federal/state employment laws and the ability to interpret and apply academic/HR policies and collective bargaining agreements.
* Ability to speak and write clearly and concisely; work through problems, develop solutions and foster resolution and action; balance numerous demands; evaluate competing priorities, weigh issues prior to taking action, and keep projects moving forward productively and efficiently; provide practical solution-driven initiatives; handle confidential information in a discreet manner, accept direction; and work cooperatively with others.
* Sufficient communication skills to clearly and concisely articulate ideas, concepts and proposals and to interact with a wide range of diverse people; critical thinking skills to conduct complex analysis and research; and facilitation/negotiation skills.
* Proficient in Word, Excel, Adobe and able to run queries and navigate the enterprise HR system.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
* Experience in higher education.
* Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification.
* Experience working with HR Direct and PageUp systems.
Exempt Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a cover letter, resume and contact names of three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Aug 5 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: benefit analyst, benefit specialist, bonus, compensation consultant, incentive compensation consultant, incentive compensation specialist, payroll, payroll specialist, payroll transformation, specialist
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...