Info Technology Lead (SBS)
Compensation: $114,900.00 - $162,750.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Information Technology
Information Technology Lead (SBS)
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Information Technology Lead will design, configure, and manage the computer systems for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, as well as recommend new technologies and lead project implementations to enhance teaching and learning. The IT Lead will administer and support all technology needs for the College including infrastructure, security, and equipment.
* Ensure high quality, effective support for students, faculty, and staff, including computer labs, media services, computers, printers, troubleshooting, security, installation and maintenance.
* Oversee the operation and maintenance of video conferencing, classrooms, computer labs, and distance learning systems located in the College location(s) and provide training and support to faculty and staff with regard to such technology and equipment.
* Provide direction and technical support to faculty and staff experiencing technological challenges with patience and clarity during in-person, phone or online interactions. Cross-train to provide and receive back-up IT support.
* Serve as the College's liaison for campus information technology groups, vendors, and others for technology purchase and maintenance, data security protocols, policies and procedures. Monitor and assess technology infrastructure services (wireless and wired internet access) and work to improve service and solve problems.
* Collaborate with student success staff to research, evaluate and make recommendations for advancing technology use to improve communication, administration and advising processes.
* Ensure that the College complies with applicable state and federal laws and regulations, and University policies and procedures. Keeps current and makes recommendations to the Dean and IT for needed resources to maintain compliance. Provide initial response to information security breaches, implement preventative procedures to mitigate risks.
* Regularly conduct a needs assessment regarding available information technology, University infrastructure to support technology (wireless and wired access), data security, hardware and software, inventory of technology, hardware and software, and make recommendations to the Dean regarding maintenance, purchase and relocation / disposal of equipment.
* Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
* Maintain an electronic inventory of information technology owned by the College; maintain departmental records regarding, location, configuration, repair and replacement of equipment. Develop and maintain licensing agreement listing and perform check in / check out of shared licenses for the College.
* Pursue professional development opportunities and / or monitor established and emerging trends, standards, protocols and developments in information technology, particularly in higher education and online learning environments. Participates in campus IT meetings.
* Educate students, staff, and faculty about effective security procedures and train them on security tools, procedures and policies.
* Maintain updated documentation with campus central IT of job duties and technical infrastructure.
* Bachelor's degree in IT or related field with 2 years of experience providing complex network and technology configuration, maintenance, support and incident response;
* Associates degree in IT or related field with 4 years of experience providing complex network and technology configuration, maintenance, support and incident response;
* Ability to perform long and short term IT project development, planning, implementation, and management.
* Excellent analytical skills and ability to plan, recommend, implement and monitor effective and efficient processes and to identify problems and implement solutions.
* Knowledge and ability to use technologies and tools, preferably including MacOS, Linux (Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS), Windows, file server, web server, basic business and education / research software, electronic health records, and interactive web-based tools such as blogs, wikis.
* Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple and emerging priorities. Ability to meet the demands of a complex environment where timeliness and availability of information is considered critical.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to supervise a cohort of staff and students of varying experience, and work positively and assertively with College faculty, staff, and students with diverse skills, priorities and from diverse backgrounds and with staff from central administrative departments such as campus central IT, as well as with vendors and outside service providers.
* Ability to train and manage staff who are efficient, customer-oriented and work effectively with a wide range of individuals including students, faculty, administrative staff and administrators.
* Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment and to make sound decisions.
* Ability to design and develop clear instructional materials, and to communicate with patience and clarity, technical concepts to a non-technical audience, including individuals and cross-functional teams with diverse backgrounds and experience.
* Understand responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behave in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
* Contribute toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
* Understand and contribute to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
* Use access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Experience in higher education or research
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
Required to work some nights and weekends.
PSU Salary Level 27
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by September 6th, 2019 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Aug 22 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: equipment, infrastructure, maintain, maintenance, network, satcom, system engineer, system specialist, system technician, technician
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...