About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under general direction of the Director of Labor Relations (DLR), the Labor Relations Representative-Student Affairs (LRRSA) is responsible for overseeing the implementation and day-to-day administration of the University's collective bargaining agreements covering staff and graduate student workers within the Student Affairs portfolio. The position will be the first point of contact for all Student Affairs offices on labor relations issues and be the functional lead on labor agreements exclusive to Student Affairs including the Resident Assistants/UAW Local 2322; New England Police Benevolent Association; and International Brotherhood of Police Officers.
* STRATEGIC LABOR RELATIONS, including:
* Building relationships with employee representatives, including union leadership
* Serving as a University representative in union contract negotiations including drafting and vetting proposals, building management consensus on bargaining positions, and acting as a co- or lead spokesperson
* Ensuring compliance with collective bargaining agreements and employment policies
* Collaborating with administrative units on long term labor solutions and strategies
* Assisting in training supervisors and managers on best practices in areas of performance management, discipline, grievance handling, and other LR matters
* Coordinating the grievance process, including serving as a step in the grievance process.
* COLLABORATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING AND CUSTOMER SERVICE, including:
* Contributes to a labor relations model that ensures a customer service orientation for administrators and supervisors
* Addressing key labor relations and personnel concerns in a timely and engaged manner
* Providing in-the-moment guidance on performance management and discipline matters
* Partnering with HR colleagues to effectively implement cross-functional solutions to common concerns
* Consulting with Student Affairs leaders, supervisors, and employees to address workplace climate concerns and build more productive supervisory relationship
* HUMAN RESOURCES ADMINISTRATION, including:
* Working as part of a collaborative team of labor relations professionals
* Preparing correspondence and reports, attending meetings, researching current personnel issues and disseminating information related to personnel policies and procedures
* Participating and delivering training regarding labor relations and employee relations on the campus.
* Responding to information requests
* Leading or assisting with strategic HR projects and initiatives
* Preparing and/or making formal presentations to all levels of university leadership, as necessary
* Advising the Director of Labor Relations on matters of collective bargaining, contractual interpretation, and disciplinary matters
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
* Bachelor's degree and three (3) years of related experience in labor or industrial relations
* Experience with the collective bargaining process
* Knowledge of employee and labor relations practices and federal and state regulations pertaining to labor issues.
* Knowledge of performance management practices
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Ability to work in a confidential environment
* Exceptional levels of professionalism and tact
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
* Masters degree in business, industrial relations, conflict resolution or related field or J.D.
* Experience in drafting and presenting proposals in bargaining
* Experience in the public sector
* Experience in higher education
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Monday - Friday, 8:30 am-5:00 pm
Salary commensurate with experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit your application, resume, and cover letter by September 20, 2019 in order to ensure consideration for the position. Search will remain open until position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Sep 5 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: advisor, business partner, consultant, hrbp, human resources associate, human resources generalist, officer, operations partner, professional, representative
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...