Linux System Administrator
Compensation: $90,340.00 - $129,440.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Maintain the integrity and security of servers and systems by refining security protocols and practices. Work with UMass IT Enterprise Services to configure systems as needed.
* Develop, design, deploy, and support enterprise class Linux configuration management, system deployment and monitor systems for the campus community.
* Analyze systems and keep systems current with changing technologies.
* Analyze and configure Linux servers in a heterogeneous environment in order to install, upgrade, monitor, maintain, troubleshoot, patch, compile, secure, and repair the system.
* Using the tools implemented, provide enterprise class Linux hosts in both physical and virtual environments.
* Install new software, troubleshoot, and grant permissions to users, groups, applications and train users.
* Monitor system performance and tune/adjust system resources to maintain efficient and equitable use of managed resources by the campus community.
* Perform system updates, make recommendations on server configurations, and implement changes in multiple environments from test or development to production which may include creating scripts using various languages and automate various tasks in multiple environments.
* Respond to alerts and customer reported issues.
* Escalate or resolve problems as needed exercising independent judgment and within established support practices.
* Participate in the planning of both short and long term goals and directions for UMass IT.
* Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
* Provide consulting to IT and other campus staff on matters related to system provisioning and centralized maintenance and monitoring.
* Perform miscellaneous related duties as required.
* Bachelor's degree in IT-related field with 2 years of experience providing Linux systems administration in a complex environment, or Associate degree with 4 years of full-time work experience providing Linux systems administration in a complex environment.
* Knowledge and experience with system scripting using technologies such as Powershell, Perl, Bash.
* Knowledge and experience working with virtualization environments and tools such as VMWare and Vagrant.
* Excellent analytical and organizational skills to plan, recommend, implement and monitor effective and efficient processes and to identify problems and implement solutions.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
* Experience using cross-platform system administration, including UNIX/Linux and Windows.
* Experience working in a large complex educational environment a plus.
* Experience with centralized automated configuration management and provisioning solutions for Linux systems such as RedHat Satellite, Puppet or Ansible.
* Experience working in a team-based environment and a proven history of implementing cross-departmental initiatives.
* Experience with system monitoring solutions such as Nagios and Solarwinds.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment Activity
* Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
* Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
* Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
* Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
* Good communication and people skills, participation in on-call rotation, strong analytical skills, organized, responsive, thorough.
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm. Regular days off: Saturday/Sunday.
Required to work some nights and weekends.
PSU Level 27
PSU Salary Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by July 31st in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 9 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: administrator, http, infrastructure, operating system, router, server, system administrator, system center configuration manager, system center operations manager, tcp ip
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...