SIS Training Mgr Tech Writer
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Manages the planning, organization and deployment of a large-scale, ongoing training effort for users of the Student Information Systems (SIS) across campus. Provides Tier II support, conducts training, writes documentation and plans and executes testing to support the SIS and related systems.
* User support: Respond to help requests received via email, telephone, in-person inquiry, or referral from UM IT Help Center. Involves identifying underlying source of issue and then troubleshooting access issues, researching/consulting on technical problems, redirecting to appropriate offices or information resources, and clarifying policies and procedures.
* Training management: Conduct training; develop new materials and training curricula, as needed. Update existing materials to reflect technical changes. Manage users' access application process, including clarifying procedures and consulting with security managers, Schedule training and register applicants for sessions.
* Technical writing & communication: Create new or revise existing primarily online documentation to support users' understanding of procedures and tools related to the SIS. Develop communication plans and draft email messages to notify various audiences of changes in the system. Post online announcements on high-traffic web pages.
* Testing: Conduct regression testing of routine software patches and upgrades, Test new or revised functions developed in-house. Retest functions following efforts to remedy problems identified through testing or user support processes. Manipulate data to create specific scenarios in testing environments.
* Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
* Provide excellent customer service to all who seek help using or understanding aspects of the SIS. This may involve engaging in outreach to specific departments/colleges or working collaboratively with staff in central administrative offices.
* Maintain data, materials, and workstation software according to established security policies and protocols.
* Attend regular meetings with work group, department, and UMass IT.
* Other duties as assigned
* Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and University policy.
* Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
* Bachelor's Degree in English, Communications, or IT related field with 5 years of relevant work experience, with 3 years of experience in technical writing.
* Associate's Degree in English, Communications, or IT related field with 7 years of relevant work experience, with 5 years of experience in technical writing.
* 1 year experience making regular presentations to groups of 12 or more.
* Demonstrated excellent writing ability (writing sample required)
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in presenting technical and procedural material to a non-technical audience.
* Demonstrated expertise with Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel.
* Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, whether working independently or as a member of a project team.
* Experience providing user support for a PeopleSoft database or other higher education student records or financial database.
* Demonstrated ability to develop or maintain web pages using HTML, Dreamweaver, or a content-management system for developing websites such as Drupal, WordPress and etc.
* Must have home internet access.
* Experience working with higher education student records databases.
* Familiarity with MS Access.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment
Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM 37.5 hours
PSU Level 26
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by September 15, 2019 in order to ensure consideration; however, applications will be accepted until the position has been filled
This position contingent on funding availability.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Aug 19 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Associated topics: booker, booking, direct, director, expert, head, lead, manager, specialist, strategist
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...