About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The User Support Manager oversees the operation of technical and administrative support and maintenance for computers, mobile devices, networking, peripherals and related systems for the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Life (SACL) in alignment with application, information and security objectives.
* Manage and supervise the daily operations of the SATS Help Desk group. Manage team of technicians to ensure successful delivery of services across a broad range of devices, applications and technologies. Manage the tracking, prioritization and processing of service requests to ensure courteous, timely, and effective resolution. Ensure that work performed is in line with university and department standards and guidelines. Design and enforce request handling and escalation policies and procedures. Perform Tier 3 support for configurations, installation, troubleshooting and technical support.
* Coordinate acquisition, configuration, installation, maintenance, and security of standard technology resources including hardware purchases within replacement funding guidelines. Develop and implement procedures to ensure that all SACL desktop computers and mobile devices stay current with SACL and University polices standards and guidelines. Manage and administer accurate device inventory by enrolling and monitoring systems in inventory management databases. Develop reports, scripts, and programs for Windows, Apple, and Linux environments to extract information and automate processes.
* Plan, schedule and coordinate help desk and infrastructure technology upgrades and implementations across SACL. Utilize project management tools and standards to execute within documented scope and schedule. Coordinate the evaluation and implementation of automated systems. Maintain liaison relationships with appropriate staff, offices, vendors and contractors. Collaborate with campus IT and vendor staff on technology projects and implementations.
* Develop and maintain relevant SATS IT standards and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documentation. Participate in networking/infrastructure on-call rotation, requiring some off hour and weekend response to meet deadlines for system upgrades as well as the resolution of critical problems and high profile business operations.
* Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
* Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements.
* Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
* Works collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfill the mission of Student Affairs and Campus Life.
* Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
* Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
* Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
* Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
* Bachelor's degree (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience) in Information Technology or related technical field plus 5 Years of progressive experience with computer technical support, help desk and/or network administration to include two or more years of experience as a technical leader with demonstrated project management experience.
* Massachusetts Class D Driver's License required upon hire.
* Ability to pass Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) background check upon hire.
* Expertise in a broad array of computing platforms and systems within a distributed computing environment, including, but not limited to: workstation software/applications, particularly those that run under MS-Windows; physical and virtual server operating systems. Experience with other operating systems such as MAC OS, iOS and Linux is strongly preferred.
* Experience in meeting the demands of complex production oriented environments where timeliness and availability of information is considered critical. Must be able to work effectively to resolve problems under stressful conditions where the rapid restoration of normal operations is critical.
* Experience working with TCP/IP networking and an understanding of network firewalls.
* Demonstrated strong written, verbal, interpersonal, and customer service skills and ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with co-workers and with a broad range of clients; ability to work well in a leadership role with peers.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively, in a highly organized manner, paying close attention to detail; accountability and reliability in meeting project deadlines and requirements; ability to apply critical thinking skills, and experience with project planning and implementation; ability to learn new technologies quickly and resolve issues involved with new technologies.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
* Experience with Microsoft Active Directory Group Policies and scripting languages and managing layer 2 and layer 3 switches.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
* Typical office environment activity.
* Typical work schedule M-F 8:30am-5:00pm (37.5 hour work week)
* Required to work some nights.
* Required to work some weekends.
* Professional Staff Level 28
* PSU Salary Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit your letter of interest, resume, and names, addresses, email and phone numbers of three references by the priority deadline of June 24, 2019. Applicants should apply by the priority deadline in order to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 11 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Oct 31 2019 Eastern Daylight Time* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...