Master's degree with NP certification. Current license or valid permit to practice professional nursing in Texas. No experience required.JOB DESCRIPTION:The nurse practitioner functions as an advanced practitioner providing primary health care for a caseload of patients in the area of clinical specialization.Department Marketing Statement
The Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas, is looking for a full-time Nurse Practitioner to work with the Attending Surgeons in the operating room and in direct in-patient and out-patient care primarily at the Clear Lake Campus.? The person hired for this position will be an integral member of the cardiovascular surgery team. Duties include but are not limited to, assisting surgeons in the operating room, harvesting saphenous veins, examining and assessing new and established surgical patients; ordering, conducting, and interpreting diagnostic and laboratory tests; and serving as a liaison between the surgical service and the medical services.? The Nurse Practitioner will be responsible for patient/family teaching, discharge planning, outpatient follow-ups, and obtaining appropriate ancillary services for the care of surgical patients.? The scope of practice will be broad and will include exposure to inpatient floor and outpatient settings.? Salary Range
$88,462 to $141,538Specific Job Related Duties
- To provide patient care services for Cardiovascular Surgery patients in the operating room, inpatient, and clinic settings under the supervision of the surgical faculty.
- Provide patient services under direct supervision and responsibility of a physician.
- Elicits detailed patient histories and does complete physical examinations.
- Determine tentative diagnosis and order appropriate laboratory tests.
- Counsel patients and family on health and disease.
- Attend and participate in all Clinics at the Clear Lake Campus.
- Disposition of clinic patients, coordination of their care, provide smooth flow of patients in the clinic, field clinical phone calls and serve as contact to patients and referring physicians.
- Assist in contacting patients post procedures to inquire about post op status, report pathology results if appropriate, and provide patient education.
- Participate in quality management.
- Independently and competently, assess patients and identify actual and potential nursing diagnosis/patient care needs.
- Independently and competently, plan and prioritize appropriate care for identified patient group.
- Safely and competently, deliver appropriate nursing care to identified patient group.
- Evaluate the patient/family response and outcome(s) to implemented care and modify the plan of care accordingly.
- Competently and consistently, complete accurate, concise and legible documentation on hospital records.
- Respects and supports patient rights.
- Practice and promote positive patient and peer relations.
- Utilizes nursing research and quality improvement to enhance practice.
- Practice cost containment for the practice and patient.
- Function as an independent and supportive team member and team leader.
- Assist in maintaining a positive learning environment.
- Participate in developing educational outreach program to improve community awareness of services provided by Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Assist in the education of hospital nursing staff concerning the care of surgery patients according to quality measures.
- Assist in the development of care and support group at UTMB.
- Adhere to internal controls established for department.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Prior experience preferred in surgery/cardiovascular surgery.
- Bilingual in Spanish desirable.
- Experience and competency with Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system.
#NPEqual Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Associated topics: certified nursing assistant, clinical, family nurse practioner, fnp, gerontological nurse practitioner, prac, practice, rnp, spanish, specialis